Also known as Bitsquid before being acquired by Autodesk, Stingray is a modern, fully data-driven multiplatform game engine. Its specificities include a fully data-driven renderer and a wide Lua API. It has been used by several studios such as Fatshark and Arrowhead, and is now available to the public.
My work included bugfixes in various areas of the core engine, updating the Lua math API, and most importantly parallelizing the data compilation process. These changes will allow the data preparation to take advantage of multiple cores, speeding it up by an order of magnitude on some machines.
I refined my C++ programming skills a lot there, as the codebase has a specific, elegant style. I also learned how Lua works and is integrated, and practiced multi-threaded programming.
I spent a few months with Uprise (previously ESN), working on an unannounced project. I onboarded every C++ programmer in the studio on Frostbite UI and rendering basics, and led the engine technology choices for the project.
Frostbite is the internal game engine of Electronic Arts, used for AAA titles such as the Battlefield series, Star Wars: Battlefront and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, but also Dragon Age: Inquisition, Need for Speed, Plants Versus Zombies: Garden Warfare, and more. It is highly data-driven as well.
The original engine team is based in Stockholm, and I was a part of it for a bit more than a year. My contributions include porting the engine to a new platform, improving the shader compilation pipeline, porting systems to mobile platforms, a few rendering features, switching the entire UI pipeline to premultiplied alpha, and streamlining the UI documentation.
I learned how to work with not one but many teams of users. I had to find a balance between their needs, their calls for help, and the priorities for the engine development itself. I worked with a massive codebase and very large datasets, and used debugging tools on many platforms.