Wow, it's been a while. I've been quite busy lately, and more or less let this blog languishing in a corner. So, what's new? (Just in case someone actually cares, who knows)
- Got my internship: Still having trouble believing it but I got a programming internship at EA DICE. So I'm currently in Stockholm, working on some multi-platform optimisation. Fun :D
- Finished my classes for this year: Said classes ended by one month almost full-time on an iPad project. We stumbled into horrendous technical issues, designed ourselves into a corner for some elements... but delivered a complete product to our client, who was very happy with the result.
- Played: mostly indie games. Bastion, Dustforce, 1000 Amps... Just trust RockPaperShotgun and get these three, they're more than worth it. I also got caught again in Realm of the Mad God when it arrived on Steam. That thing is dangerously addictive (and awesome, I'm getting back to it as soon as this article is done).
- Got accepted for my master's programme: I applied for a master's programme in Advanced Graphics at Linköping University (Sweden) and I'm accepted. So unless I get a dream job, I'll spend the next two years there.
So! Let's make a kinda-useful post and share some great links I've stumbled upon. There's everything in there: game design, programming, "general interest" as they say. And useless but fun stuff.
- Surely you've seen it, but if you haven't, this will make any programmer laugh to tears: https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat
- Any game programmer should read this one: http://www.koonsolo.com/news/dewitters-gameloop/
- Hanging around with demosceners get you awesome links, like this theory on cloud rendering by Patapom (thanks to xtrium for the link): http://wiki.nuaj.net/index.php?title=Clouds
- The Portal 2 postmortem at GDC 2012 had some brilliant ideas in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLqk4aqpXlQ
- Some very, very good UI design lessons in this (multipart) Mass Effect UI analysis: http://gamedesignreviews.com/reviews/mass-effect-interface-fail/
- A long article by Edge about why we're not losing our time playing long games: http://www.edge-online.com/opinion/opinion-long-live-long-rpg (the Slate article which inspired it is a good read as well)
- Some DOD goodness (which most likely helped me land my internship by changing my vision of things !): http://cellperformance.beyond3d.com/articles/2009/08/roundup-recent-sketches-on-concurrency-data-design-and-performance.html
- Some more DOD goodness: http://molecularmusings.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/adventures-in-data-oriented-design-part-1-mesh-data-3 (the whole site is worth a read)
- Two goldmines: http://www.valvesoftware.com/company/publications.html and http://publications.dice.se/
I guess that's all for now. I'll try not to let months go by without posting again ;)
Note: This has been ported from my old Wordpress site. I removed/updated dead links in the process.